Tuesday, April 25, 2006

musically inclined

I'm listening to Steve Vai's music collection which was sent to me by my "frustrated" rock guitarist friend as he claimed. I never had the chance to hear him play but I'm sure he's not bad at all having Steve Vai as his idol.

I got reconnected to him because a common friend of ours mentioned that he was based in Hong Kong when I went there last October. We studied in the same university in Beijing but didnt have the time to chitchat. What's amazing is that, my conceived idea about this guy, is not what or who he is. He is a diver and a guitarist...

Well, ok, he claimed that he can't really play.....but why am I talking about this person???? He is really passionate about being and dreaming to play like Steve Vai. He introduced Steve Vai to me and even sent me a cd of SV's collection. I didnt even know this Steve Vai existed.....but he's really good after listening to his music. I dont know anything about guitars but I know how he does it seems difficult.

Sometimes our passion on something, like frustrated guitarist here, comes from the people whom we look upto. Some of them become fans of someone, collects things and trinkets, but just the same, isn't it being passionate on something draws out something good in us?

For people who became fans of someone, they try to know more and more about their idols. For those people who are collectors, they try to save up on their extra cash to buy these small things. Along the process, the fan gains knowledge; the collector develops a habit which may lead to a virtue.

He may just be a fan of Steve Vai but I think looking up to SV he's pushing himself to know more about SV and to play the guitar really well. That's something I have to learn, never stop trying. It seems so stubborn to keep on doing something even if they dont seem to do well in that thing they do....but that's what we call passion! It doesnt matter if you are the best in the eyes of others, u are doing it because u want it and it makes u happy even with difficulty. Besides, being humans we are supposed to gain knowledge and be virtuous.

So want to hear Steve Vai or learn to play the guitar? It's never too late! My mom who just turned 54 last March started to learn how to play the piano. She knows how to play Jingle Bells...too early for Christmas, huh?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home