Friday, April 28, 2006

bolts and nuts

I've been wanting to write about him since yesterday but had to do a lot of things yesterday. I left my laptop last night at the guard house after watching a movie feature of the Philippine Film Festival here. For everyone reading this, you should watch, "Magnifico." Very nice and well written Filipino art film.

I've met Kuya Roland a couple of times as he kept coming back and forth Manila-Shanghai. He is one of the Senior Technical Supervisors in Manila plant of Oishi and always had to be brought here for new commissioning of production lines. He is always the "man" for the job. We should be proud of these kinds of Filipino workers.

First impression of him was very pleasant. He greeted me a couple of times while I did my running on the treadmill and other Oishi employees played billiards. I also shared a word or two with him during breakfast. This morning he shared his "life strategies"----how to choose a partner. I was stuffing myself with steamed buns, oatmeal, hard boiled eggs and carrot bread as I listen to his account. I just have to mention this detail to give you an idea food here is great that I have to counterbalance it with my running.

He told us, before jumping into marriage, learn and know ur partner really well. He courted his wife for a month and got married. He said, he learned a lot about his wife AFTER getting married. For all those guys reading this, be careful with choosing a partner. As a famous quote would say, "behind a man's success is a woman." It got me into thinking about this after his shared life principle: assess if the girl will bring you success in the future. It seems practical being a business-minded person myself. Though of course, when love strikes it cripples our senses. ;)

He said, in looking for a wife, make sure the partner is good in handling finances (meaning: no unreasonable shopping sprees, no super close attachments with relatives that always had to lend a helping hand and feet to them, no misaligned priorities). He mentioned that he almost had to separate his wife. After staying for 5months in Shanghai for a project, when he got back in Manila, the wife accummulated huge debt!!! Debt he didnt even think of spending in his lifetime. It was horrible to the point that the tuition fee of their kids were at stake. He was already ready to get separated as the wife went back to her family. He talked to his kids if they are "ok" with it, but then, the love of a parent still supercedes personal feelings, sentiment and anger. He went to his wife's house and fetched her to come home. He said, his wife is really good but her priorities are just not right. She got super tight family ties to the point of risking the sake of their own family. They were in debt because the wife was asking money to be given to her relatives.

It didnt feel good listening to his piece of advice....but I think it is worth telling everyone here.

I'm always criticized to being too "high standard" with choosing a partner. I think we all have to. Life is not easy and as always reiterated by married people, we expect people to change during the marriage, but it doesnt happen. We overlook small details where in fact these small details are what we have to contend with everyday of our lives with our partners. I have with me non-negotiable things...small things...that reflects to the character of the person. We are sometimes after superficial things; we get deceived with appearance. Remember guys, those pretty faces have with them costs. These girls invested a lot, thus, u should be prepared to shoulder their costs. :P

As for Roland, he is working now for his kids. He has been working for Oishi for sometime. Tinkering with the nuts and bolts of each machinery is what's keeping his family. He maybe indebted caused by his wife, but you can see in his face optimism, fortitude and hope a passionate person has. I'm sure he brought with him a lot of gifts for his family. He's off to Manila today.

For us not yet decided to make the jump, make sure we've "checked" our partner's bolts and nuts.....small and often ignored but are important for a whole machine to work. Just like in marriage!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home