Monday, May 08, 2006

advance happy mother's day

Next weekend will be Mother's Day. I'd have to deposit in advance my article in time for this very nice occasion. My brothers will be arriving on that weekend so I wont be able to update this blog. Anyway, I'd want to share with you my mom. :)

I'd have to be grateful for who she is... not our typical society conforming mom. I think that's why I have this passion for non-conformity since it was her genes after all....

Happy Mother's Day, Ma! We may not be expressive, but I hope you know you are very special to us.

These are some of her "out of the box" mom personality:

1. She started to learn how to piano when all of us are not using the piano now. She's 54 now.
2. She never grounded us...EVER....I never knew that term existed if not for my other classmates using it when they get grounded.
3. She's the only mom who agreed when I was 7 to sleepover to my bestfriend's house.
4. She encourages us to go out for partying but we never did party.
5. She paid for my brothers and a cousin to go on a speed dating event!!! It's PHP 750/head. I wouldnt spend for it if I'm a Mom.
6. She asks my officemate (a guy who doesn part time gym instructor work) what's the best exercise to reduce my asset (blatantly!!!!!!)
7. She never got our report cards during grade school. Teachers pity us since the only report cards that were left were the ones with failing marks.
8. She doesnt mind us not studying to engage us in hard labor of repacking candies and other "confucian values" work/chores repetitive tasks.
9. She never gave us allowance while grade school until high school. We still got our ration of snacks in our bags even when we were in 4th yr high school.
10. She was the only mom I know who told us explicitly how difficult it is to give birth. We got our sex education there.
11. We can laugh at her as if she is not our mom.
12. We can wrestle, pick her nose, mess her hair as if she's our own sibling or friend.
13. We never receive any gifts from her on our birthdays.
14. She gets angry when she receives any birthday or christmas gifts when we were still studying because she know it's her money. I think things have changed now. She welcomes gifts now because we are working.
15. She gets to fight with papa whenever papa buys us box full of books. There goes us being "enlightened." She thinks hard work pays off and is enough.
16. We don't have to report ALL the time of our whereabouts. We can leave a message to the helper if we are not coming home for dinner.
17. She never paid for a tutor to teach us.
18. We can talk to her as if she wasn't our mother. Believe me, you should hear us speak to her.
19. She's using and learning along the way what Excel, Skype, Yahoo Messenger and Email is all about. Again, She's 54.
20. She reminds me and my sister to use sunblock to devoid us of future aesthetic problems encountered by female. I trust her on this for practical reasons.
21. She NEVER nagged us on getting married. Reason: her ROI has not been recovered! This is why I loved her so....
22. She never rewarded us on our academic excellence... getting something if we get good grades is not part of her vocabulary.
22. She never wore heeled shoes, doesn't own any stiletto, doesn't wear any make up. This is her secret for varicose-free feet and youthful face, I think! hehe
23. She got the LARGEST rosary you can ever think...to prevent her from falling asleep while praying. Trust me, it doesn't work.
24. She does a lot of crochet. She did all our throw pillows, cellphone pouches and in progress...our dining table cloth. I hope she finishes it. hehe
25. She's the queen of divisoria (For those who are non Filipino, Divisoria is the wholesale market on anything under the sun. It is not a glamorous place. Try googling what divisoria looks like)
26. She's from Bohol. We all got that twisted tongue. She can't pronounce "milk" "beer and bear" "really" properly.
27. We never had graduation celebration parties. She didn't mind my brother not attending graduation ceremony.

This is why I love her. For all these things, it may sound harsh but I'm grateful she did all of these things to us. If not, we wouldn't have survived a complete and happy childhood and be who we are now. I'm sure she still gets disappointed at us most of the time for not being at par with her standards.

Hearing what people around me has to say about their moms make me proud I got one unique mom who is not perfect but was the best for us. She knew how to be a good parent giving us the necessary markers just enough to walk on our own. We are not successful but I think, I'm always going to have the feeling of gratitude my very own life cannot repay with all these things my mom is to us. Here's the recipe of real motherhood and parenting if you want to have kids like us (not perfect but happy for who we are and who we will be because of them!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home