Monday, June 25, 2007

random act of kindness

Looking back at how I've spent my two years in Shanghai, I've come to realize that Thomas Hobbes' philosophy that man is evil by nature is not true. I'm very lucky to have had a lot of incidents that made me conclude that man still has a good side after all.

Here are some of these so called unexpected act of kindness from people:

1. I consistently received pictures from a traveling friend from wherever he's been to for the last two years. It always surprise me how this really makes me happy every time I receive it.

2. I received free muffins from Wagas because the head supervisor thought I am a loyal customer.

3. I received free dessert and another welcome drink when I took a foreign tourist to visit Corregidor because the head chef was from my high school alma mater. (Note: we werent close. She just recognized me.)

4. I got invited by an acquaintance to attend an Italian cookout get together.

5. I got a 1rmb discount from a taxi driver because he liked my smile.

6. I got free foot massage because I accompanied a colleague to hear mass and go grocery with her.

7. I got a free management handbook from raytheon couriered to me directly after sending an email that I want a copy.

8. I got free entrance tickets to attend the Shanghai Auto Show (very expensive entrance tickets) from a friend.

9. I got free admission at the Old Residence of Gen. Zhou En Lai

10. I might get a free trip to Taiwan soon from a new project.

I think if we really keep a positive attitude and show a good heart, people unconsciously return the favor without an effort. Try practicing to smile for no reason in the subway. I feel that the subway is infested with grumpy, ugly and lonely-looking people. I do this exercise sometimes, just smile and check how it affects others. These small things make life more interesting. I hope you do urself a favor from time to time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home