Wednesday, October 11, 2006

once in a lifetime

As Ive expected things to happen, my 9 day vacation was a real BLAST. My route went this way:

Shanghai-Lanzhou-Linxia-Xiahe-Langmusi-Zhuoergai-Jiuzhaigou-Chengdu-Shanghai.

It was the best backpack trip I've taken so far. Why? the cheapest and most eye opening AND I was with the BEST backpacker in the world, hehehe. I only spent 1500rmb for 9 days which includes accommodation, food, bus transfers, entrance tix. Well, the biggest expense was the roundtrip plane fare.

Things I've learned in this trip:

1. Bus transport isn't so bad at all in China. The most no. of bus transfers I had in a day during this trip....6 buses in a day!!!

2. China has very nice roads. It made sleeping while in transit so comfortable (unlike in the phils).

3. Eating to the 'dirtiest-looking' eatery ALWAYS turn out bringing the best food. How to spot them: look for a shouting waitress for the orders. - c/o Ted

4. Dont speak to 'hawkers' not until they say something intersting. If not, just dont mind them. - c/o Ted

5. Show an english I.D. in ticket booths (even if it is not a real, authentic I.D.) for discounts - c/o Ted

6. Monks aren't as angelic as I thought they were. They look like hoodlums. They live a very normal life, not as ascetic as I expected them to be. They got mobile phones, rented out dvds, ate their momo dumplings (thus not completely vegetarian) and drank local beer.

7. China is just one large gamut of surprises. I was completely in awe how magnificent gorges, mountains, lakes, culture it presented to me.

8. Tibetans are one of the most pious and religious people in the world. They are not as bad smelling I thought they would. Maybe because it was a lot cooler.

9. Yak meat doesnt taste good. Trust me!!!

10. China is very much connected even to the very remote area. China Mobile too is very superior except when we passed by a town heading to Langmusi I think. There's a dead spot.

11. Juniper leaves smell really nice. It can pass for an aromatherapy.

12. Im a Sichuan hotpot wimp. I wasnt able to pass the ultimate hotpot test.

13. Pandas arent as cute as they seem. They are slothful and gluttons. But the babies really look so fragile and cute.

14. Sichuan women dress really fashionable compared to their counterparts in Beijing. One notch lower than Shanghainese. Sichuanese women still dont wear heavy make ups.

15. Anywhere u go, Chinese hikers and backpackers wear the same thing. They follow strictly the guideline on "what to wear" in their Chinese Lonely Planet.

16. Always be kind to people in the reception area, I was able to get some free trinkets just simply by talking to them (an adorable smile and a wink).

17. Yak butter also serve as their candles in the temples.

18. Park sweepers are always the good resource persons on what to watch out for/skip inside the parks. c/o Ted

19. Sichuanese LOVE to talk. Everyone just have to talk whether mobile, fixed line, pay phone. ---observation of Ted

here are some of my wonderful panoramic pictures:















Life in Western China:









0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home