Friday, August 11, 2006

getting nostalgic in hk


I just came back from Hong Kong for the 80th bday of grandma. It was a nice family gathering. For the first time, we were complete as a family of my dad's side. Our family is really really young and small. In total, 9 grandchildren only compared to the 30+ cousins I have from my mom's side. As a result, I can say I was never close to my cousins....though this event has made me reconnect to them.

The bday bash made me think how will I be when Im 80 (if ever I pass this age). Looking at the disposition of grandma, I can say she has lived a very fulfilling life. In one of the dinners, my youngest aunt recounts how strict and brutal she was to them when they were growing up. Aunt thanked grandma for doing as such, for if not, then they wouldnt be this way right now. Grandma wears a reserved smile. Dad gave a speech and thanked grandma for the care, time, toil she has gone to, to raise them up as a single parent later on in her life. It should be difficult to be a parent, let alone, along the way, you end up not having a partner to share the burden of parenthood. Very exemplary. Passion to live for the kids. Raising kids is one big role any human being can ever assume. The worry how these kids will turn up when they grow up; when it is enough to caress or to scold.

After all these years, reaching 80th year in this life is already a big blessing. I thank grandma for giving us a great dad and made us this way now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home