Tuesday, May 23, 2006

the new china

Last week was hell. I was running around Shanghai like a tourist as summer approaches and all the people from Manila are visiting me.

I have delayed updating this blog of mine. Anyway, I wanted to share with you what the passion of the citizen of the New China. I'm so surprised myself to see all of these kids' tech gadgets as they take a break on their excursion trip at the Shanghai Science and Technology Museum.


We have here a bunch of middle school kids munching on their LAYS and COKE while tinkering and punching those buttons of their Nintendo Gameboy. All influences from the Western World.


What a good way to take a break..."Have a break, bring out the Game Boy!"


I find this so cute to see a Chinese version of a Millionaire's Game but all the elements included in it. A roulette, cards, chips, dice, tiny icons.

Having been schooled and educated in the Philippines, I can remember our excursion trip then. It was not at all the same as the very relaxed museum visit these Chinese kids experience. All of us were to KEEP QUIET while maintaining our queue. We were supposed to write a report after the visit with all the info we "gathered". I dont think these kids do the same thing. To start with, the Scitech Museum is really informative even for an adult like me. It is sad to see though how these kids are "americanized" in the lifestyle that they live. I don't know if Confucian values are instilled in this one-child citizens of China. I hope their passion in tinkering their game boy is supervised by their parents as not to turn them into brats of the future!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home