Thursday, September 07, 2006

saving for the rainy day


How much do u think this piggy bank can accumulate with your 1rmb?

Answer: 448 rmb with a couple of fens and jiaos. This is my second time to fill this piggy bank. It takes 6 months to get it filled. Some trivia, huh?

I started this habit of saving the 1rmbs back in Beijing. It was because of one of the homilies of a Jesuit priest in the embassy. Since he got in Beijing, he has been putting all his 1 rmbs in a big piggy bank. After a year, he said he was able to save 1000rmb. The touching part is that, he gives the money he saved to charity. It got me so excited and started this habit. I wasnt as motivated to set aside those 1rmbs when I was in Beijing. However, when I got here in Shanghai, I thought it would be a nice 'habit' to start keeping all these 1 rmbs in this piggy bank (cute Ikea pig too). I wanted to be more financially responsible and what better way to start small. :)

I'm always fascinated with how people develop a habit and later on it becomes a virtue. There are people who say that 'routines' are boring, dull and no meaning. I disagree. I think developing routines in our lives is necessary. It helps us to be orderly, have a plan of life and ultimately, develop a virtue. A repetitive good habit makes us better individuals. I think, developing a habit that later on becomes a virtue is a reflection of what true passion is. Any passionate endeavor must be done repetitively.

Sigh! I hope I already moved to be virtuous in saving up! hehehe! 2 piggy bank filled in my one year in Shanghai. I think I should get a bigger pig....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home