Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Xiamen Getaway

Last Chinese New Year, I visited my high school classmate in Xiamen. It was my first time to visit that very nice city. I couldnt understand why so many of Filipino Chinese businessmen and overseas Chinese would kill to have their retirement in Xiamen. I could only be skeptical not until I finally made a visit.

Coming from Shanghai, fair and warm weather in Xiamen was gladly appreciated. I dont have to deal with putting on layers and layers of winter clothes. I'm sure much of a the people who knows me have been to Xiamen. But I want to share with you my food trip pictures. I find eating around China is a creative, adventurous and fun experience more than going simply for sight seeing.







Isn't it just appetizing? I'll leave it up to you to decide.

This personal visit ended up a very insightful business visit. I was very lucky to meet the owner of the big fast food operator in Xiamen (Xinshitai Fast food). I've realized that one of the important strategies in a company (big or small) is how you take care of your people. The owner is very personal and shares intimate relationship with his employees. It is very humbling to see how down to earth he was considering the status he has as the owner. He was in his normal shirt and jeans. Making toasts, singing and dancing like the rest for their company celebration via KTV (how else do do think Chinese celebrate aside from eating. My high school friend is on the brink of hysteria since the owner insisted on having a party despite the situation that they're just starting up, no cashflow and profit. I just realized, sometimes the heart just have to give in for the long term goals of the company. This immediately wins you loyalty and trust (VERY VERY HARD to get here in China). Perhaps too, Xiamen ese are more in touch with their humanity rather simply being too consumerist and materialist in their orientation at work. Everyone was happy that night. I think i'd have to learn how to sing and give a toast for my employees in the future.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home